Puppy potty training:
My first word of advice is not to punish the pup. Your job is to show
him where to go potty and not to scare him to death. That being said I
will discuss a methodology of puppy potty training. There will be a
number of situations where you might find the pup after or while he is
Catching the puppy going potty:
- Do not scare the puppy yourself and do not punish him.
- Try and make some loud noise but make sure that puppy doesn’t
associate you with the loud noise. If he notices you, it will only
teach not to potty in your presence but he will continue when you are
not. Point is to make him feel unsafe to eliminate inside the house.
- Gently take him outside and when he finishes his business praise
him a lot and be very excited at his accomplishment! Make him feel good
- Go back in and make sure puppy watches you clean up his mess, but don’t force him into the mess.
- Pour some vinegar on the spot to make sure he won’t go to the spot again.
The point of the above is to show the puppy that going potty inside the
house is bad and going outside is the greatest thing in the world.
Found a mess already done:
There isn’t much you can do but clean it up while he is watching and
put some vinegar on the spot. Pups have very short memory and if you
try and punish him he will not know why you are doing it, and the
punishment will become pointless. Never punish a puppy for the sake of
In the next section we will describe Crate training as important puppy
potty training tool.